GameCola fans and writers describe their favorite (and sometimes least favorite) games of all time.
Stuart Gipp’s Top 10 Favorite Games
10. Sonic 3 & Sonic and Knuckles (SG): Massive levels and ingenious touches make this a necessity.
9. Metal Slug x (PSX): Carnage on a universal scale. It wants your money and won’t give it back. Absolutely seminal.
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES): A tour-de-force of platforming. Amazing levels and hilarious dialogue and bosses push this up way past its predecessor. Play it now.
7. Rocket Knight Adventures (SG): This game is so good, you really just ought to play it. The imagination doesn’t let up until the final boss is destroyed. Oh wait, it’s still going… OK, credits rolled. That’s it. I’ve unlocked WHAT?
6. Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega MicroGame$ (GBA): This game is like playing a sugar-rush. 300+ microgames rammed into your eyeballs while your brain attempts to keep up. Lovely.
5. Gitaroo Man (PS2): By far the hardest game in the world. This is a rhythm action game that actually feels like you’re playing something. The feeling of relief when you finally pass a difficult level (Mojo King Bee, anyone?) quickly transcends to elation
4. Castle of Illusions Starring Mickey Mouse (SMS): There’s little I can say about this game except.. it’s the only game I have played consistently since I first acquired it at the age of four. I know the levels inside out, yet I still love it. It’s probably just me but I couldn’t have a list without it.
3. R-Type (PSX): Absolutely brilliant. Timeless shooting with what has to be the universe’s most instinctive control system. And I STILL can’t beat level three, dammit!
2. Dynamite Headdy (SG): Mental. That’s the only way to describe this game. Oh, and fantastic. Mental and fantastic. One minute you’re fighting a giant artist’s mannequin, the next you’re hiding from screen-sized rockets while shrunk to the size of an ant. Genius.
1. Astro Boy (GBA): OK, so this one isn’t available anywhere other than Japan as of writing this. But I strongly suggest you “import it” (onto your emulator) because it’s the best game I’ve ever played. Platforming perfection.