Via Kotaku, Nintendo announced today that they’ll be bringing Super Mario All-Stars to the Wii in the United States. The package will include Mario 1, Mario 2, Mario 3, and The Lost Levels, and absolutely no other games, just like the original Super Nintendo release. This begs several questions, including:
2) Why should I pay $30 for a port of a Super Nintendo game?
3) Why should I pay $30 for a collection of games I already own 16 working copies of each? (Save for The Lost Levels, but one working copy of that is more than enough.)
4) Isn’t it cheaper to buy the games individually on the Virtual Console, anyway? In fact, wouldn’t doing that cost like half the price of this Super Mario All-Stars?
5) No, seriously—I am literally swimming in copies of Mario 3 right now. Stop releasing it! (Note: This is not actually a question.)
6) Why isn’t Mario World in there, or Mario 64, or any of the Game Boy games? Why isn’t anything included that would make this a worthwhile package?
7) What is the goddamn point?!
And actually, come to think of it…will this even be as good as the Super Nintendo version? I don’t think Nintendo has stated that it’s a literal port of the SNES game—will this just be a collection of the original NES titles, or will it include the updated graphics and savegame feature of the SNES release?
Or, on the other hand, will my worst nightmare come true, and will this just be a collection of the Super Mario Advance series that came out a while back for the GBA? Because those are actually worth negative dollars. Seriously, Toad’s voice in Super Mario Advance 2: Mario Bros. 3 Presents: Mario World for Mario 2: The Reckoning made blood come out of my ears. My G-BASP is now stained red.
If I were a real journalist, I’d be asking Nintendo these questions, rather than you, the GameCola Faithful. I think I’d rather just assume that this is a horrible waste of money, though.
At least it reportedly comes with a soundtrack CD and “commemorative booklet.”
…I mean, they’re not even including Super Mario World, like the cool version of Super Mario All-Stars did! What is the point?!