This classic GameCola article was originally posted on June 15th, 2006.
It looks like a trend for Super Smash Bros. is to go back to old Nintendo games when in search of new characters; we are seeing this with Kid Icarus and more Metroid folks joining the melee. So, here’s a fine list of classic characters I think should be included in the next Super Smash Bros.—Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii:
1. Wart (Super Mario Bros. 2): Haven’t seen him in ages. Been a big call recently for Birdo, so I think this vegetable hating menace (see previous WTC) should be included.
2. Magikoopa (Super Mario series): In early screens of Mario Kart 64, we saw Magikoopa (Kamek?) as one of the racers. This guy would have some pretty sweet magic moves to pull off.
3. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (Super Mario series): Been around since Mario World 2. Could be similar to a Link/Young Link match-up.
4. Mallow (Super Mario RPG): Dhalsim-style arm extensions, the ability to control the rain and a cry baby. A fitting replacement for Ice Climbers!
5. Geno (Super Mario RPG): Cool star magic and gun attacks.
6. Mega Man: Finally, we can settle the ultimate match of Mega Man vs. Samus.
7. Shadow Mario (or at least, Mario with waterpack powers) (Super Mario Sunshine): Triple jumping with the hover pack. 360 sprays.
8. Captain N: – Excellent show involving great Nintendo stars of their day. Captain N is the Nintendo fan inside all of us. In fact, I had a theory a while back about Smash Bros. You know how in Smash 64, we see all the characters as lifeless dolls in kid’s room? I think it’s Captain N’s room.
9. King Hippo (Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!): Most famous opponent in Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!. He wears a crown.
10. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country series): Major bad due of the Donkey Kong Country days. Haven’t seen him in a while.
11. King Dedede (Kirby series): I didn’t know who MetaKnight was. I’m used to Kirby from his grey days of Kirby’s Dreamland for original Game Boy.
12. Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country series): DK was beastly, but I usually played through DKC1 as Diddy because of his beastly speed and cartwheels.
14. Simon Belmont (Castlevania series): Uses a whip. Kicks ass.
15. Little Mac (Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!): Time for this kid to come out of retirement
Please, leave your comments below for any other character suggestions!