– The “Walkman of the next century”, aka the “PlayStation Portable“, is reported to have a release date for November of this year. According to the official PlayStation website, the PSP is confirmed to have MP3 playback capabilities, and could possibly have a GPS system and some sort of messaging service. It looks like we may soon, finally, have some competition for the N-Gage!
– Man, did anyone else play that totally awesome Microprose game called Pirates!? (Note that the exclamation point is actually part of the game’s title.. I am excited about this game, but not that excited.) Well if you did, you may have picked up on that small detail of Pirates! being the only good pirate title ever created in the history of video games. Luckily for us, Firaxis Games is currently working on an update for this title, and it should be available later this year! Will it go the way of Escape from Monkey Island, or will it be more of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? You be the judge!
– Is the center of this news column really the best place for the biggest news of the month? I’m not sure, but here I shall place it anyway. The Virtual Boy is returning! Well, okay, not the actual Virtual Boy, but a new system that could easily take the same path as that failed system if Nintendo screws this one up. Code named the “Nintendo DS“, the newest hardware creation by the creators of Mario seems to be a lot like your typical Game Boy Advance, with one exception: it has two screens. Nintendo hasn’t made many comments about how these two screens will be utilized for upcoming games.. hopefully they have some idea where they’re going with this. At the moment, the Nintendo DS is scheduled for release in late 2004.. hopefully they won’t change that.
– Fans of the Minibosses might wanna pick up the latest issue of Wired Magazine — your favorite Nintendo cover band and mine has sort of hit the main stream! Some might consider this to be a bad thing (elitist punk assholes, I’m looking at you!), but the ‘bosses themselves seem pretty pleased about it. Everything’s honkey dorey just so long as we don’t see them being interviewed by Carson Daly any time soon. In other Miniboss news, the band has recently released a new EP. Check it out at their website!
– Want the casing of an old video game system? Feel like taking pictures of your teeth? Well you’ve come to the right place, bucko! Imagine Systems Corporations has apparently used a mold of an Atari Jaguar to produce their new line of dental cameras, called the “Hot Rod“. Don’t believe me? See it for yourself! Now tell me you don’t think that’s legit.
– If you have any money left after purchasing your Atari dental camera, you might wanna check out what Bungie Studios has under development. Casual fans who think they’re gamers because they play a whole lotta Madden, this one’s for you! For a mere $3,500, you can pick up a replica Master Chief suit for this year’s Halloween. Or you could wear it to instill fear at your next Halo tournament! Or you could use it to impress all your brothers at the next frat party! The choices are, as they say, endless.
– Feel like slashing a big plastic sword at your television but you’re too afraid of foreigners to import Kenshin Dragon Quest? Fear not loyal gamers, I’ve got the solution to your ailment: The Soul Controller. Licensed by Capcom for the Onimusha series, the Soul Controller is a peripheral that works like the fishing pole or baseball bat controllers.. except that it’s a freakin’ sword. How cool is that? Too bad it’ll cost something like $160-$190. It’d actually be cheaper to import the Dragon Quest one.