New Haven, CT 06511
September 11, 2009
- A brand-new podcast, featuring Michaels Gray and Ridgaway, Nathaniel Hoover, and Zach Rich talking about GC’s new format, save points, voice acting in games, Magic: the Gathering, and more. (You can also check this out on YouTube, and watch Paul playing James Pond very badly while you do.)
- Michael Ridgeway’s “The Anger Dome” article, in which he talks about candy corn games: games you keep coming back to, even though you know how awful they are.
- My video playthrough of Plan 9 from Outer Space, the point-and-click adventure game based on the worst movie ever made.
- Michael Gray’s video playthrough of Mega Man II for the original Game Boy.
- Nathaniel Hoover’s video playthrough of FlightSimX Paperplane Game, a Flash game he talked about in the April 2009 edition of “Flash Flood.”
- A rant about how videogame companies love to murder the Ninja Turtles franchise.
- A quick blog post about one videogame character’s starring role in the book Ender’s Game.
- A quick blog post about passwords in Professor Layton (with a bonus Professor Layton fanfic!)
- Two more video playthroughs! Michael Gray plays through Deja Vu for the GBC, and I play through Deja Vu for the NES.
Michael Gray: My favorite article would have to be your review of Zoo Tycoon DS, or whatever the name of the game is where you kept putting things in all caps. The humor in this article comes from its simple but brilliantly-executed concept.
Nathaniel Hoover: I think it’s gotta be this “Versus Mode.” Not only were the opinions here well-stated, but I’m all about shameless self-promotion, so I thought this article was a riot. If you like this article, I’m sure you’ll also enjoy “Flash Flood,” my column about Flash games and animations.
Zach Rich: I have three picks:
- “Gamer Girlfriend” (February 2009): If there was any article on GameCola that has ever stayed in my memory for a long time, this is the one. This is actually my personal favorite article on the old ‘Cola. I can’t think of a better-written article at all. This really shows us just how willing Vangie is to deal with the insanity that is our good friend Mr. Ridgeway.
- Meteo’s Quake II, Super R-Type/Ys/Mystery Quest and ActRaiser 2 reviews: Not only do they have absolutely no understanding of how any of the games even function, but they are the funniest goddamn shit you will read on the Internet. Meteo, you are hated by the world at large, but it’s most certainly not for your writing.
- Zach’s Braid review: I consider this to be my best writing for the site, but that’s only because when I think of my own pieces, and how much fun I had in writing them, this one really stands out in my mind. If you want to know what happens in my mind when playing a videogame, this is it.
editor in chief